SEO ROOFING CASE STUDY - multiple locations
Local Roofing Contractor in Georgia – How we managed to get 61 leads, at 30% conversion rate in 30 days
I’ll start this case study by saying: “SEO works!” If you’re not familiar with the term – SEO is the art of ranking on the famously known Google, and I claim with confidence that it works great.
I am started off with a bold claim about the greatness of SEO since the art of ranking on Google got a bad reputation in the roofing industry. Quite unfairly, I must say. The thing is that
SEO (and digital marketing services in general) have a low barrier to entry. Nowadays anybody can watch two or three courses on SEO and call himself SEO guru. His Guruness can fuck your business up quite badly. You need more than a course to rock SEO.
Most of my roofing clients were tricked by the self-proclaimed SEO gurus – newbies without knowledge and experience. Hopefully, I brought
How to rank a roofer in the state of New Jersey in 20 different locations?
Here’s how we did it!
Our roofing client was already ranking decently in 6 cities and 4 counties in the state of New Jersey. Client’s wish was to push the current rankings up up up! & to add 10 more cities across the state. Anybody who is targeting multiple cities has to have a proper page on their website – a page targeting a certain city which contains a 100% unique content.
Here’s an example:
What GOALS did we set?
Before starting to do our SEO magic, we set some goals. Running forward without the strategy and plan makes no sense. Before you start any digital marketing activities, please determine your KPI’s. Don’t act like a beheaded fly, moving through space and continuum without a direction.
Here are the goals we were determined to reach:
- DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF LEADS coming from organic Google search
- GENERATE PHONE CALLS & FORM SUBMISSIONS to SCHEDULE IN-PERSON CONSULTATIONS
- PUSH THE CURRENT RANKINGS UP!
- ADD 10 MORE CITIES & RANK THEM ON THE TOP
The Approach We Used
First, we FIXED ALL THE TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THE WEBSITE. We fastened the website speed, removed non relevant pages and added more content about roofing.
After setting up solid foundations, we ADDED 10 NEW CITY PAGES with which we targeted additional 10 cities.
Then we OPTIMIZED USER EXPERIENCE on the MOBILE VERSION, STARTED LOCAL OUTREACH and GUEST POSTING.
Wondering what came out of it?
ASS KICKING RESULTS!
133% MORE TRAFFIC ON A MONTHLY BASIS → from 300 visitors to 700 visitors a month
We ranked for over 1000 keywords (initially our client was ranking for only 200 keywords)
QUADRUPLED NUMBER OF LEADS! Until we came to the scene, our client was getting 20 leads a month. That’s not bad…but we got him 80 leads a month! Now that’s great!
and finally…HERE’S HOW WE DID IT →
SEO consists of the ON PAGE SEO (your website) and OFF PAGE SEO (backlinks eg. linking other websites to your website). If you have both things on point, you shall rank! Simple as that.
But if it’s that simple, why do people fail when it comes to SEO?
It’s because they don’t know how to do on-page SEO.
They don’t adjust their strategy when Google pushes out an algorithm update which happens 3-5 times a year. What worked last year, may not work anymore.
Secondly, they fail at building quality backlinks. They don’t build them at all or they buy low-quality backlinks.
Also, the problem may be in budgeting. SEO costs. You can’t expect to get awesome results if you don’t invest a right sum of money in SEO activities. For example, if you pay somebody $500 a month to do SEO, they’ll be able to work on your ON PAGE SEO for 5 to maximum 10 hours a month (which is not enough for getting awesome results) and able to buy only 1 to maximum 2 backlinks. Here a brief calculation: average backlink price is $150. For $500 you can get 3 backlinks and spend 5 hours to work on the on-page SEO. Not good. Not enough for driving real results.
Here are the approximate budgets for SEO:
- Really small cities (up to 30 000 population) – less than $500
- Small to mid-size cities (30 000 – 150 000) – $500 to $1000
- Mid-sized cities – $1000 – $2000 (depending on the competition in that city)
- Big sized cities – $2000+
This is valuable data which gives you an opportunity to evaluate SEO if you’re currently paying somebody to do it. You can determine if you’re underpaying or overpaying your SEO. For example, if you hired an agency and you’re paying them $500 a month to do SEO in a big city like Dallas, there is a super small chance you’ll rank (ever). In this case, you’re underpaying. Invest. It WILL pay off. In case you’re overpaying SEO – you’ll have better quality backlinks, you’ll rank for more keywords and get way more traffic.
The time IS NOW! LET ME BRAG ABOUT OUR RESULTS A BIT!
The picture says it all! Pretty cool right?
You must be thinking, these guys are bragging how they killed SEO but their keywords aren’t all #1. Let us briefly explain what was going on. All cities in the state of New Jersey are really small cities. Google tends to favor big aggregators like Homeadvisor and place them on top when it comes to small cities. It’s quite hard to fight them without a GMB profile in that city. We only have 3 Google Maps profiles so in those cities, we were able to outrank them. In other areas, we are still fighting to be on top. The battle continues!
BONUS FOR NERDS
Here is a list of steps we have undertaken (concerning SEO) at the time given. I didn’t add every little technical detail tough. That’s too nerdy even for SEO nerds. Let’s focus on the most important steps and actions we took to drive real results for our roofing client.
- Create and Add your website sitemap
- Add more content on your service and about each city: on average we’ll add 5 to 10 more pages of content about each city that won’t be visible to the end user They will just be for Google and better rankings
- Optimize Metadata on every page: meta title and meta description
- Interlink every page of the website
- Add local Google Schema
- Add Review Schema (high change Google we’ll show 5 stars rating in Google search) Example: http://prntscr.com/k8edv7
- Start blogging – every month we’ll add blog posts to the website
- Create a brand network on 20+ websites like Tumblr, Weebly, Blogger… These are your company’s mini websites created specifically for each city
- Create 300+ CITATIONS for each location eg. profiles on websites like yelp.com, yellowpages.com…
- We do monthly outreach to local bloggers, nonprofit organizations and other local organizations to build relationships with them and to get local backlinks (that will help with SEO). On average we send out 200 emails a week (manually)
- We do monthly guest posting – contacting home improvement bloggers and writing content for their blog (with a nice backlink back to your website)
Google Maps Profile
- We need to add at least 30 fully optimized images to your profile (we add your keywords and geo-coordinates to every picture)
- Optimize Google+ profile (pictures, descriptions, posts etc.)
- Add fully optimized business description
- Monthly posting on the GMB
- Add your services on the GMB
We surely hope that this case study helps you with your SEO. And congrats if you read everything carefully. Knowledge is power fellow roofers. Remember that and keep on reading Profit Roofing System’s blog posts